Australia needs a New Flag……or does it?

We have been debating this question in class. Our current flag has the Union Jack, the Southern Cross and the Federation star on it. Each of these objects represents Australia and a part of Australian History.

Do you think we need a new Flag?

What’s wrong with the one we have?

What would you change if you were able to create a new flag for Australia?

Write a comment with your thoughts and suggestions

15 thoughts on “Australia needs a New Flag……or does it?

1. Dear Mrs Stevens,

I think we need a new flag because the flag we have doesn’t represent us. There are quite a lot of reasons why the flag is wrong one of the main reasons is that we get confused for a country that we aren’t. If I could change the flag I would like to have some Australian icons on it.

From Lachlan

• Actually, I beg to differ. The Commonwealth Star represents each of the states and territories of Australia. The Southern Cross also represents us in the fact that we are in the Southern Hemisphere, as well as acknowledging the Aboriginal people. So you see, there already ARE icons on the flag that represent us.

2. Dear Mrs Stevens,

I think we should had a new flag because the multicultural are not included in the flag and they should because they are a part of Australia. secondly it does not represent Australia and it is our flag so it should represent us. thirdly it gets confused with other flag like at the Olympics England and Australia won and the two flags went up the flag pole and people through England won two medals

3. Dear Mrs Stevens,

I think we should had a new flag because the multicultural people of Australia are not included in the flag and they should be. Because they are a part of Australia. Secondly The Union Jack does not represent Australia and it is our flag so it should represent us. Thirdly it gets confused with other flag like at the Olympics England and Australia won and the two flags went up the flag pole and people through England won two medals.

4. I think we should change our flag because we were our own country in 1901. That’s why we should have our own flag without the Union Jack on it.

5. Dear Mrs Stevens,
    I strongly believe we should change our national flag because it gets majorly confused with other countries’ flags. I would get rid of the union Jack and put something more Australian, like a kangaroo, on it. I personally believe that the flag that we have now is boring.
    By Jack.O

6. Hi Ms Stevens i dont think that we need arother flag for Australia.I my self particulally dont think that anything is wrong with the one we have got.I would change the union jack.So I think that we dont need a diffrent flag because of all the history that is underneath it.!

7. Dear Mrs Stevens,
    I say that we should get a new flag and get rid of the old one. I think we should have a new flag for many different reasons and one of them is that only one thing on our flag represents Australia and that is the federation star. The union jack used to represent Australia but now it doesn’t because we don’t belong to Britain any more. Plus the Southern Cross doesn’t mean anything to Australia at all so I don’t understand why it is on the flag. There is a lot more reasons why the flag shouldn’t be ours. So that’s my opinion about the Australian flag. I also think we should have something about the Aboriginals and something about the Torres Strait Islanders.
    From Sarah B

8. Dear Mrs Stevens, I think the flag should stay the same because if we were to change it Australia could lose the history behind the flag. It could also cost lots to redesign the flag, and the more detailed the flag the more expensive it will be to create. From Olivia

9. Dear Mrs Stevens,
    I strongly believe that Australia needs a new flag, because we don’t belong to Britain anymore we belong to the Commonwealth now and now we are our own country. If I had the choice of designing the new flag I wouldn’t have the Union Jack in it. I’d put in the Southern Cross and the aboriginals colours also the Torres Strait Islanders flag in the new flag this way people won’t be confused and this way it shows that aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders belong to Australia as well.
    From Jaz

10. Dear Mrs Stevens,
    I very strongly believe that we need a new flag. The one we have now is too similar to Britain and New Zealand. People will never recognise that Australia is its own country. If I could change the flag that we have now I would. I would put more aboriginal symbols in it and include the immigrants and Torres Strait Islanders, I would also make it unique, and have the Aussie colours in it.
    From Hannah.

11. Dear Mrs Stevens,
    I feel very strongly for Australia having a new flag! The one we have doesn’t represent Australia enough. The Union Jack is British, the Southern Cross is in the Southern Hemisphere, not just over Australia and the Federation star is the only thing that is Australian!
    If I was to change our flag, I would add something to represent the indigenous and Australian icons.
    I suggest that we should have a vote of if we should change our flag to start with, and majority rules! If most people want to change it, get people to do designs and have another vote.
    From Ella.

12. Dear Mrs Stevens,
    The problem with our current flag is it only has two things that is related to Australia which are The blue background for the Torres Strait Islanders flag which a huge majority of flags over the world have blue on their flags. Also all the flags with the Union Jack on them, there are over 40 in the world that have the Union Jack on them. We definitely need a new flag.
    Lily 5/6 D

13. Dear Mrs Stevens
    I love the Australian flag as it is. It represents the history of our wonderful country and we should all be proud of it. The Australian flag should be kept exactly as is so future generations can appreciate and understand our history and heritage, not changed as though it is a latest fashion statement. Thankyou.
    Sue