Essendon Footballers visit NGPS

On Tuesday 19th February we had two very special visitors to our school. Brendan Goddard and Mark Baguley came to talk to the grade 5/6 students. Even if you are not an Essendon supporter it was fantastic to have two professional AFL players visit New Gisborne Primary. They came to explain a little bit about what it was like to be an AFL player. We heard all about their training routines, how important nutrition was as well as the sacrifices they had made to achieve their goal of becoming a professional football player.
The students asked lots of interesting questions and at the end some Essendon fans were lucky enough to get their footy jumpers or footballs signed.

Have a look at our slideshow of the visit. Football players visit schools to publicise AFL and their team but also to inform and educate us. Do you think it is worthwhile having them visit schools? Post a comment with your opinion and why you believe that.

14 thoughts on “Essendon Footballers visit NGPS

1. Dear Mrs Stevens,

I was really excited when I found out that the Essendon football players where coming even though I follow Richmond. I liked how they spoke about what they eat and how much training they do each day and I also liked how they told us how they cool down. One of my favourite parts was when they told us about if they drink too much water they go up a kilo in weight then they sweat out a litre which makes them drop a kilo in weight after a game. I think it is important that they come you they can teach us what it’s like to be an elite athlete and what is good and bad for you.

From Lachlan

2. It is worth them coming to visit us. Why because lots of people can’t afford to go the AFL so they go to schools. Most schools don’t get footballers to go to their school because they might only have twenty people so it’s not worth it.

3. Dear Mrs Stevens,

I was really excited when I found out that the Essendon football players where coming even though I follow Richmond. I liked how they spoke about what they eat and how much training they do each day and I also liked how they told us how they cool down. One of my favourite parts was when they told us about if they drink too much water they go up a kilo in weight then they sweat out a litre which makes them drop a kilo in weight after a game. I think it is important that they come you they can teach us what it’s like to be an elite athlete and what is good and bad for you. I was annoyed that they couldn’t sign diaries

From Lachlan

4. I enjoyed the visit very much even though I was twenty minutes late. I found it amazing how long they actually train for on a daily basis. I have never been much of a football fan but it was still a good opportunity for me to find out some of what it’s like being in the AFL. I found it interesting that football players have to eat so many carbohydrates. Personally I would hate having to wake up so early in the morning to train. I think it would be really painful getting into an ice bath. In the end I’d had a great experience.

5. Dear Mrs Stevens
    I think it’s good that the footy players came to our school. It gives the kids a chance to get the players signature and the fans get to know what goes in to playing footy like if they sweat one kg of water they have to drink that much water after a game.
    By Harry

6. Hello Mrs. Stevens,
    I thought that the two Essendon football players coming in was exciting for Essendon supporters and football fans. However, it was a bit boring sitting there especially if you don’t particulaly like football, But that’s just my opinion . It also wasted some school work time, so in the end I thought it was just a bit of a waste of time. Sorry if any football fans take offence.
    Zac 5/6D

7. Hi, I had so much fun listening and learning how footy people keep healthy and fit. It was the best school day of 2013 because I love Essendon! I was so sad that Patty Rider didn’t come because he is the best footy player.
    From Jasmine

8. Dear Mrs Stevens,

When Mr G walked in at maths and said ‘’Brendan Goddard was coming,’’ I nearly jumped out of my chair. The famous back men Brendan Goddard was coming to our school. I really couldn’t wait until lunch time. Finally I heard an announcement that Brendan Goddard was in the gym. I sprinted as fast as I could to the gym wanting to learn something new. The part I found the most interesting was when they drank water they would gain one kilo and when they sweat a lot in a game they lose a kilo.
    By Jack.O

9. Hi everyone!
    I think it is worthwhile for professional football players to come to our school. They can teach students how to eat healthy, exercise well and many other things. Many people dream of meeting these superstars but they don’t have the money. I also enjoy it when they come.
    From Aki

10. Dear Mrs Steven’s,
    I think it is a wonderful time to have Essendon footballers come to our school because some parents don’t usually have money to go games. So it was a very special opportunity for special people come to the school like this.it was really cool.

From Shannon

11. Dear Mrs Stevens,
    I think that it is an amazing opportunity to have Essendon players come to school because some parents don’t have time or money to take their kids to the football. It is also a fantastic that they come to our school because it inspires younger footballers. I am an Essendon fan and it meant a lot to me to meet them and to get their signatures.
    From Ella.

12. Hi,
    I think it’s worthwhile to have AFL players to come in because as you know many people dream of being football players and it would for them and to help them reach their goal. It is also educational for younger children to learn about the dangers and traits about playing football. It is good for eating and exercising healthily.
    From Rohan.

13. Dear Mrs Stevens,
    I was so excited when I found out that Essendon players were coming to our school. I was so excited because I got a photo with Essendon players, and I also got their signatures. It was really interesting about the stuff they do to recover from training and a game, like they have an ice bath. It was also really interesting to learn about their childhood. I think that it is fabulous they come to our school. From Olivia