AFL

Dear Quad blogging buddies,

The Australian Football League is the most popular sport in Australia. The league was founded by the Victorian Football league in 1887 consisting of 8 teams at that point of time. At that time they only had teams from Victoria.

The name changed in 1990 to the AFL as it was not just based around Victoria. Now the league has 18 teams as the new teams Greater Western Sydney Giants and the Gold Coast Suns has joined.

Before the full season starts there is a pre season called the Nab Cup where the players get a chance to see their opposition in action and the AFL to test out new rules. Therefore after the preseason there are 23 home and away games to get in the finals you need in to the top 8 when you survive all rounds in the finals you get into the Grand Final and whoever wins gets the cup.

My team the mighty Hawks were first on the ladder and won all their final games and got into the grand final,but lost by the tiniest of margins. The atmosphere of a Grand Final is crazy; I was heartbroken as me and my family’s heart and souls are in the footy and the Hawks!

After the seasons they have an AFL draft. This is where players get picked up by clubs according to their position on the final ladder. Last position gets number pick 1 – the most talented young boys while first position gets pick 111.

The 18 teams are Carlton, Hawthorn, Essendon, Adelaide, Geelong, Sydney, GWS, GCS, Kangaroos, Saints, Bulldogs, Lions, Eagles, Richmond, Fremantle, Port, and Melbourne.

Down below are some of the best AFL players of the era: Cyril Rioli [Hawthorn 2nd favourite player] Lance Franklin [Hawthorn AKA Buddy my favourite player] Gary Ablett [Gold Coast]. By Lachie